[4.5-R]FTP Uploading Is Massively Broken....

The Jetman jetman at mycbc.com
Wed Sep 10 12:29:11 PDT 2003

    Folks:  ...that is, on my system.  This is driving me crazy.  I
built w/o much difficulty an NATing Internet gateway, using a fixed wireless
connection.  (The WiFi card is an Orinoco Silver PCMCIA NIC.)  It's been
working non-stop for over 18 mos.  Download speeds are fine, but uploads
(primarily FTP uloads) are massively broken.  I disable the firewall
and try uploads from the gateway, but the xfer stalls constantly.

    Here are my sysctl variables for the tcp subsystem:

net.inet.tcp.sendspace: 1024
net.inet.tcp.recvspace: 65536
net.inet.tcp.keepinit: 75000
net.inet.tcp.delacktime: 100
net.inet.tcp.v6mssdflt: 1024
net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain: 0
net.inet.tcp.blackhole: 2
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack: 1
net.inet.tcp.path_mtu_discovery: 0
net.inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize: 1
net.inet.tcp.local_slowstart_flightsize: 4
net.inet.tcp.newreno: 0

    I turned off newreno and path_mtu_discovery, per what little I could
find on the 'net.  I tweaked down the sendspace setting (to 1024) on my own,
which seemed to improve uploads (~ 7KB/s) from the gateway itself, but no
joy from my NATed workstations.  Even tests uloading to my ISPs local FTP
server yield poor results.  I haven't done any other tweaking of system
settings, since I don't want to wreck an otherwise operational system.

    I've posted dozens of queries on the popular search engines (Google,
Lycos, AltaVista, et al.) but no joy.  Seems like this difficulty is
unique to my site.  I'd like to upgrade the gateway to 4.8, but I need an
available Sunday, so I can backup and completely rebuild the system, so
that's out for the near-term.  Besides, if I could get my workstations
to upload at a decent speed (at least 10KB/s), I could live w/ that for
at least a little while.

    I must emphasize I'm not a newbie.  I've setup a couple Samba/FBSD
file servers and a production bandwidth-limiting, Ethernet bridge that's
throttling a very active T1 circuit.  I don't consider myself an FBSD expert
yet, but I've successfully deployed a number of FBSD systems in real-life
environments.  I just need a little help from a REAL FBSD expert.

    TIA....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+      Nothing causes self-delusion quite so readily as power.       =
===  jetman516 at hotmail.com  =========================  Liu Binyan  ===