nVidia nForce2 chipset and on-board ethernet

John DeStefano deesto at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 12:06:22 PDT 2003

Over the past few months, there have been a handful of posts regarding
the lack of support in FreeBSD for on-board ethernet interfaces using
the nVidia nForce2 chipset.  I have currently a network-impared machine
with an Asus A7N8X motherboard, which uses this chipset.

In one exchange, Mr. Bill Paul requested information from other users
(which I was glad to provide) that he could pool together in order to
justify a demand for related drivers.  He indicated that the response
was great, but I've not since noticed any further report of results and
was wondering if it had gotten anywhere.  In fact, this is the second
post on -net I've made regarding this topic; the first a month ago drew
no reply.

I'd love to get this box on the network and on the 'Net with FreeBSD,
without adding another NIC interface, which would affect the other OSes
I have on this particular box (and which support this interface without
trouble).

Thanks,
~John