Packet loss problem

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Sat Sep 6 15:26:02 PDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:18:41PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> I don't believe so. We pay for a leased connection - so it's not supposed to
> be filtered. I'll have a dig around tho. One other question, is their any
> way to statically map an IP to a MAC (user who keeps chainging their IP when
> they shouldn't), but prevent them associating the MAC with any other IP? .Or
> am I gonna have to dig thru some ipfw rules ?

You can force an IP to be mapped to a particular MAC address by DHCP,
if that's what you mean, but generally it means removing that IP address
from the pool, which usually means renumbering.

If however you're referring to 'only accept traffic from this IP if it
originated from this MAC address' this could be achieved with layer 2
IPFW rules - but it could be countered with MAC spoofing.

BMS