Changes to PCBPORTHASH wrt TCP, review needed

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Fri Oct 31 20:25:00 PST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> It's very possible that bind will return a port which can't be used
> because it's already in use for that destination lport-laddr-fport-faddr
> tuple, so the connect will fail with EADDRINUSE.
>
> So, it looks like I can't solve this so simply... looks like I'll have to
> have the port lookup do IP comparisons as well.
>
> Mike "Silby" Silbersack

After more thought, I've come to the conclusion that it's not easy to do
away with the lport hash, and that changes would only benefit certain
applications.  So, I've given up on the lport reuse issue and refocused on
the problem of time_wait sockets clogging up all local ports under certain
situations.  I did manage to find a good solution for that problem, and
it'll be committed pretty soon.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack