iMac and FreeBSD performance problems

Anthony Anderberg ant at hutchtel.net
Fri Oct 31 07:47:28 PST 2003

> the iMac to a 10BT hub instead of the ethernet switch then everything
> seems to work fine as well.  The iMac can talk to all the other equipment
> without a problem when its connected to the ethernet switch.  Likewise

Sounds like a duplex mis-match, which is especially
common with unmanaged switches.  The problem
is that the computer and switch don't agree whether
their link is full duplex or half duplex.  The result is
undetected collisions which must be retransmitted
via TCP timeouts instead of being retransmitted right
away by the NICs.  I'd suggest setting the duplex on
the switch ports if possible and devices to see if a
combination works better, I'm not sure about the Mac
but you can get a list of media options on FreeBSD
using "ifconfig -m".

Best wishes,
anthony