Help Broadcasting a UDP packet on the LAN:URGENT

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Mon Oct 20 15:21:39 PDT 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 12:49, Barney Wolff wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:00:19PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> > Undirected broadcasts will only work if you do the following:-
>
> I've pointed out before that the gross hack of assigning IP address
> 255.0.0.0/8 to the desired interface should work.  I've just
> confirmed that doing that, on RELENG_5_1 and RELENG_4, does result in
> ping 255.255.255.255 sending ICMP packets out with that dest addr.  I
> have not personally tested UDP on FreeBSD, but this hack used to work
> on Irix, which at least back then had a bsd-derived network stack, to
> enable bootp to work with no kernel mods.

But does it send the packet to all attached interfaces on a multi-homed
host?  This is the type of bug that has typically bitten such hackish
solutions in the past.  One real solution is worth much more than the
sum of the sort-of but not really working hacks we have flying about
now.

Go Bruce!  Go Bruce!  ;^)

Wes Peters                                              wes at softweyr.com