named sandbox trouble

Robert Downes nullentropy at lineone.net
Thu Oct 9 20:59:40 PDT 2003

I'm trying to setup BIND so that my machine understands its own hostname
(because mySQL refuses to install because the hostname appears invalid
and the --force option seems to do nothing), and because it would be
helpful generally.

I have followed the Handbook instructions very carefully to set up named
in a sandbox, and I have followed my reference book carefully to set up
the zone file and named.conf, but when I type ndc status to see how the
name server is doing, I get this:

-bash-2.05b$ ndc status
ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): No such file or directory
ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/var/run/ndc)

and still get no joy trying to get my machine to discover its own name.

Any ideas? I have checked everything several times, but I'm obviously
missing something.
--
Bob
echo Mail fefsensmrrjyaheeoceoq\! | tr "jefroq\!" "@obe.uk"