Giga-bit switches

Don Bowman don at sandvine.com
Thu Oct 9 08:02:46 PDT 2003

From: Peter J. Blok [mailto:pblok at inter.NL.net]
> Hi,
>
> This is just a warning. I am setting up a Giga-bit network
> trying to use Jumbo
> frames. For NIC the ability to do larger frames is usually
> listed, but that
> doesn't seem to be the case for switches.
>
> I have bought a Netgear GS104 switch, which does list a
> buffer per port of
> 12K. However, according to Netgear support, it is not
> supported and working.
> They just say that there is no mentioning of Jumbo frame
> support, therefore
> it is not supported. Even on the more expensive Netgear
> switches it is not
> listed, so it is trial-on-error policy.
>
> My understanding is that the Giga-bit definition includes
> large frame support
> and if you claim to have a Giga-bit switch you should support
> large frames,
> unless specifically excluded.

jumbo frames are not part of the standard, and are in
general poorly supported. For some cisco devices, they
do 'mini giants', e.g. ~1600 mtu. Other cisco devices
will support 9K frames, but @ the expensive of lowering
the overall buffering (all frames are assumed to be 9K
now, so ~1/4 of the packets may be buffered).

for cisco devices, the support will be on a line card
by linecard basis.