Giga-bit switches

Peter J. Blok pblok at inter.NL.net
Thu Oct 9 04:53:45 PDT 2003

Hi,

This is just a warning. I am setting up a Giga-bit network trying to use Jumbo
frames. For NIC the ability to do larger frames is usually listed, but that
doesn't seem to be the case for switches.

I have bought a Netgear GS104 switch, which does list a buffer per port of
12K. However, according to Netgear support, it is not supported and working.
They just say that there is no mentioning of Jumbo frame support, therefore
it is not supported. Even on the more expensive Netgear switches it is not
listed, so it is trial-on-error policy.

My understanding is that the Giga-bit definition includes large frame support
and if you claim to have a Giga-bit switch you should support large frames,
unless specifically excluded.

So be warned.

Peter