routed(8) and static routes

John Polstra jdp at polstra.com
Wed Oct 8 17:02:44 PDT 2003

I'm trying for the first time to get routed(8) to do something useful,
and it's got me stumped.  The man page says:

  Static routes in the kernel table are preserved and included in RIP

>From reading the sources, "valid RIP metric" seems to mean a nonzero
hopcount.

I have a static route for a VPN that I added like this:

  route -n add 192.168.0.0/16 192.168.198.51 -hopcount 1

But routed does not advertise the route.  It advertises routes for all
of the network interfaces, but does not advertise my static route.
FWIW, I have the line "ripv2" in /etc/gateways to suppress the use of
RIPv1, since RIPv1 cannot handle netmasks.

Can somebody give me a clue?

Thanks,
John