ADSL PPoA or RFC1483, any solutions ?

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Wed Oct 1 11:18:03 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 06:08:56PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 06:55:28AM +0200, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
> > 1) Any viable solution with FreeBSD for doing that kinds (PPPoA or RFC
> > 1483) of encapsulation.
>
> Using xDSL will be difficult. There is a driver I have picked up for the
> Lanai chip (Efficient Networks SpeedStream 30x0 series), using an Alcatel
> PHY, but it's nowhere near ready for primetime yet, and I have no timeline
> for working on it (or funding/resources).
>
> > 2) Why FreeBSD doesn't support PPPoA in the same way it support PPPoE ?
> > Which are the difficulties of doing this ?
> > The "experts" that came to sell this migration said that PPPoA is a far
> > more efficient and better than PPPoE, is it true ?
>
> Not necessarily. It just might be easier for telcos to carry traffic over
> their backbones using ATM - more efficient for them, not necessarily more
> efficient for end-users.
>
> You'll have better luck with an external router for now, but help is on
> the way from others, that is all I can say right now.

I'm a little confused.  My ISP (AceDSL in the NYC metro area) uses, I
believe, 1483, and I need no extra features to have my fbsd system talk
directly to the dsl modem (Westell) over ethernet with no extra protocol
layers and full 1500 mtu.  I have a static IP address and a /29, and just
need a default route to the ISP router's addr.  The dsl modem is acting
as a bridge, not a router.  The routing and firewalling is done by my
fbsd system.

Are you talking about running the phone line directly to the fbsd box
with no dsl modem?

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.