dhcp on one of 2 nics

Crist J. Clark cristjc at comcast.net
Sat Nov 29 18:31:00 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:06:16AM -0500, Ken Vescovi wrote:
> I finally got cable modem access here in the backwoods of west-central
> PA.
>
> I want to set up my Dell Latitude running 4.8 as a gateway doing PAT and
> using ipfw.
>
> I have 2, 3c589c cards and need one to get an address from the cable
> company via DHCP.
>
> The other nic will be configured as the gateway for my home net.
>
> Problem one:
> Card 2 is recognized, but I get this message "No free Configuration for
> card 3Com corp' and no device id is assigned.
> It doesn't matter which slot the card is in, it seems to only recognize
> the first and give it device id ep0.
> I removed the 'default' setting from pcic1 in the kernel config as
> follows:
>
> device          pcic0   at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
>         device          pcic1   at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000
>
> But it's still not recognized.  Any suggestions?

I thought pccardd(8) dealt with this automatically, but it looks like
it is not for you. The way to deal with the conflict here may be some
pccard.conf(5) trickery, not messing with pcic(4) settings in the
kernel configuration. If you need more help,
freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org might be a better place.

> Problem 2 is how do I configure one nic for dhcp and the other for
> static.  I can do the static config,
> but how do I config the system to have static on card 1 and dhcp on card
> 2?

This is easier. Just a,

  ifconfig_ep1="DHCP"

In rc.conf(5) should be all you need.