FreeBSD 4.9 / VRRP / vlan

Pawel Malachowski pawmal-posting at freebsd.lublin.pl
Fri Nov 28 08:05:32 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 04:44:30PM +0100, Mathieu Arnold wrote:

> ip address on the vlan subnet (say ping 62.233.44.132), and I tcpdump -i
> vlan20, I see arp requests going out, on the tcpdump I launched on the
> according host, I see the arp request coming in, the response going out,
> but I don't see any response going in on the router. If I manually add the
> mac address (arp -s ...) I see the icmp requests going, arriving on the
> host, the echo reply going back, but they're not received on the router.
> So, there is a problem somewhere (it's not a switch problem because with a
> cable between the 2 fxp it's the exact same problem.)

Heh, this is exactly the same procedure I tried yesterday at night.
Not with freevrrpd-ed IP 192.168.1.1/24 (cause it works), but with
non freevrrpded 10.255.255.1/24 (compare with my previously posted
setup in this thread).
I am not able to communicate using 10.255.255.{1,2}/24 after starting
freevrrpd on at least one side, in the same manner as You describe above
(cleared/static arp didn't help).

So, it looks like:
0. Something is wrong here,
1. It is possible to workaround this somehow, using one `trash'
   subnet (as my 10.255.255.0/24) assigned to vlan interface
   by hand, and second, `proper' subnet, assigned with freevrrpd.

Maybe please get some obsolete vlan and try to use my setup with
no modifiactions, it partially works for me, it should elsewhere.

cheers,
--
Paweł Małachowski