FreeBSD 4.9 / VRRP / vlan

Pawel Malachowski pawmal-posting at freebsd.lublin.pl
Thu Nov 27 13:47:38 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:37:35PM +0100, Spyou wrote:

> Now, i need to isolate some servers into vlans. So i create vlans on the
> interface managed by VRRP, i told VRRP to use various vlans instead of the
> parent interface ... And ... here's the probleme ...
>
> as you might know, VRRP modify the MAC address of the network card (or of
> the real parent card in case of vlans) to avoid problems when virtual IP
> switch from one box to another. When VRRP changes the MAC address of the
> parent ethernet card of my vlans ... i cannot ping boxes behind anymore ...
> when i kill freevrrpd (he restore the real mac address) everything comes
> back to normal ...
>

> Is it a "bug" or a "feature" (ie, are vlans & ether cards linked by the mac
> address of the ether card .. or something like this ?)
>
> If anyone got an idea ...
>
> I will try with a FreeBSD 5.2 tomorow .. i'll keep you informed :-)

I was checking freevrrpd on vlan(4) with almost identical setup and it
worked (4.7 with modified vlan.ko and 4.9). However, ospfd caused problems
and it was necessery to turn it out. ;)
When moving IP address from R1 to R2, R2 is not able to bring this IP
up cause it already has route to that network in routing table. Is it
possible You have similar problem here?

--
Paweł Małachowski