ip addressing question

Alexander Motin mavr at mavhome.dp.ua
Thu Nov 20 14:50:14 PST 2003

charles pelletier wrote:

> I'm hoping someone here can answer this question as regards IPs etc.
>
> I realize this is probably a Windows related issue but I was hoping
> someone here could explain, in terms of networking, what could be
> occuring..
>
> When connected via PPPoE, this issue occurs:
> No matter the User/Pass, ipconfig pulls exactly the same IP address
> along w/ a 255.255.255.255 subnet.
> The PPPoE connection is a dynamic connection so the IP pulled should
> never be the same.
> Could this be a problem with the DHClient? The reason I ask is that a
> connection is made but no route is able to occur.
PPPoE connection as in any other PPP uses not DHCP protocol but uses
IPCP protocol to NEGOTIATE connection parameters. Each side of
connection can try to give some parameters to other and each other can
take/allow them or not.
What about same IP - you can try to look in your PPPoE log for IPCP
negotiation process and try to find what side offers using of this IP.

--
Alexander Motin