Multicast stats and bridging

Alex Hoff ahoff at sandvine.com
Wed Nov 19 13:03:18 PST 2003

So I was doing some counter and general ifMib testing and I set up a bridge
with two PCs on either side sending data through the two bridged interfaces.
It was working fine until I noticed that the bridge will only count incoming
broadcast and multicast pkts. ie they come in if1 and are counted correctly
in the stack and bridge stats, but then as they leave, they are no longer
counted in the stack as nonunicast packets, but as unicast. They appear as
unicast in both the stack and the bridge stats. (the packets that are sent
are still multicast, its just the stats that appear wrong)

What is the desired behavior of a multicast(and broadcast) pkt traveling
through a bridge? Change it to count it going in *and* out? Or is there some
reason, that I dont know about, for the current stat counting heuristics?

Thanks,

Alex Hoff