ip-up script of pppd no triggered

Jim Xochellis dxoch at escape.gr
Fri Nov 14 06:02:35 PST 2003

Hi list,

I have also posted this mail to the freebsd-questions list a few days
ago, but I had no luck. Hence, I decided to try this list too, which
probably is the most appropriate for my problem.

I need to persuade pppd to call its ip-up script in order to add a
non-default route as soon as the link is up and running. Unfortunately
it seems that my ip-up script is not being called. The mode of the file
is rwxr-xr-x and the owner root:wheel. I am calling the pppd from
inside a "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ppp.sh" script by using the following
command:
"/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cuaa0 115200 A.A.A.A:B.B.B.B noauth persist
netmask 255.255.255.252"

I have read all the chapter #18 of the handbook, but I haven't found
anything about the ip-up script. On the contrary the PPPD(8) man page
claims that the /etc/ppp/ip-up is executed when the link is available
for sending and receiving IP packets. My link becomes available for
sending/receiving IP packets, but ip-up is never executed. Any ideas
why?
By the way, I am using kernel PPP, (on ppp0) if it makes any difference.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance
Jim Xochellis