64 bit packet counters

Alex Hoff ahoff at sandvine.com
Fri Nov 7 12:06:11 PST 2003

Hi,

We are attempting to implement the IF-MIB, which requires the use of 64 bit
packet counters and the differentiation between multicast and broadcast
pkts. Since changing the if_data (by adding new counters and changing the
existing to u_int64) is a bad idea, does anyone have any good ideas on how
to do this? I was thinking of tacking on a new struct (lets call it
ifx_data) on at the end of the current if_net struct with the appropriate
counters (i/opacket, i/obyte, i/obcast, i/omcast). Apart from having to do a
little double counting is there any obvious pitfals with this approach? Does
anyone have an better ideas? Is there currently any plans to update the
network stack to handle this properly?

Thanks,

Alex Hoff