Disable Bridge Loop Detection?

Jonathan Feally vulture at netvulture.com
Wed Nov 5 10:37:22 PST 2003

I don't see why do you have 2 FreeBSD Boxes running as bridges. The only
reason I could possibly imagine, is that you are using IPFW or IPFilter
to do some packet filtering.

Now with vrrp, each router would have a unique IP and only one of the
routers would have the shared IP at any given time using the shared vrrp
mac address.
Your problem lies in Layer 2 packets - where vrrp functions. A
bridge/switch is a layer 2 device that only passes traffic to the ports
that need the traffic and nothing more. The vrrp advertisements will be
from the shared MAC to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. with the IP src being the
sending router and the IP dst being a multicast address. Now when the
change from router 1 to router 2 takes place, router 1 will go back to
it's original mac and router 2 will get the shared mac and start sending
advertisements. So now from your picture, Bridge #2 would see that the
vrrp mac is coming from the other side, thus causing a loop to be detected.

You're best solution is to remove one of the bridges, and add a cheap
10/100 hub and connect like this:

??????????????????????????   Internet Connection
         |                        |
+-----------+   +-----------+
|  router #1   |    |  router #2  |      Internet Connectivity  Routers
on .2 and .3 with .1 as the shared IP
+-----------+   +-----------+
         |                        |
+-------------------------+    This will solve your bridge seeing a loop
by putting all vrrp traffic on only 1 side.
|   $10-$15 10/100 Hub    |    You shouldn't see any major network
performance hit from using a hub here.
+-------------------------+   .The only way you could possibly see a
network performance hit, would be if you had a huge pipe.

      NIC A

+------------------+
|  FreeBSD Bridge  |   IPFW or IPFilter At this point - FreeBSD box on .4

     NIC B

|   Switch #1   |-x-|  Switch #2   |   Hosts on the network
63.208.196.0/25 - Switches on .5 and .6 - if possible
Workstations and Servers        Machines on .10-.126 or whatever