IPv6 autoconf addresses with changing RAs...

Eugene M. Kim ab at astralblue.net
Tue Nov 4 23:39:55 PST 2003

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 wrote:

>>One caveat is, though, you can't let rtadvd pick all the prefixes from
>>internal interfaces (i.e. those that don't have rltime#0 specified),
>>because that way rtadvd uses default parameters (maxinterval#30,
>>pltime#86400, vltime#259200) for the prefixes it picked up; this is too
>>long.  Specifying pltime/vltime without an addr directive seems to have
>>no effect (contrary to what the example in rtadvd.conf(5) suggests).
>>

>Please let me check, which example are you talking about?  It is
>intentional that specifying pltime/vltime without an addr is NOT
>effective.
>
>					JINMEI, Tatuya
>					Communication Platform Lab.
>					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
>					jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp

It's the last paragraph of the EXAMPLES section that says:

     The following example presents the default values in an explicit
manner.
     The configuration is provided just for reference purposes; YOU DO NOT
     NEED TO HAVE IT AT ALL.

     default:\
             :chlim#64:raflags#0:rltime#1800:rtime#0:retrans#0:\
             :pinfoflags="la":vltime#2592000:pltime#604800:mtu#0:
     ef0:\
             :addr="3ffe:501:ffff:1000::":prefixlen#64:tc=default

 From this, it seems *as if* specifying a different pltime and vltime
would have some effect.  I guess it should be made clear that changing
those variables without corresponding addr directives won't do anything.

Cheers,
Eugene