IPv6 autoconf addresses with changing RAs...

Eugene M. Kim ab at astralblue.net
Sun Nov 2 10:24:14 PST 2003

I guess the proper way would be rtadvd's prefix lifetime configuration
(maxinterval, pltime and vltime).  I set it to maxinterval#20,
pltime#90, vltime#130.  You *must* also delete old prefixes from the
internal interface(s), or rtadvd will continue advertising them because
it will think those old prefixes are still valid.

One caveat is, though, you can't let rtadvd pick all the prefixes from
internal interfaces (i.e. those that don't have rltime#0 specified),
because that way rtadvd uses default parameters (maxinterval#30,
pltime#86400, vltime#259200) for the prefixes it picked up; this is too
long.  Specifying pltime/vltime without an addr directive seems to have
no effect (contrary to what the example in rtadvd.conf(5) suggests).
You have to automatically regenerate rtadvd.conf from the
linkup/linkdown scripts to specify/remove the 6to4 prefixes calculated
then SIGHUP the rtadvd.  I wonder if the latest KAME version of rtadvd
has any solution to this problem.

/me looks in the general direction of Umemoto-san ^^

Eugene