WCCP

Gokhan ERYOL eryol at metu.edu.tr
Tue May 13 04:16:40 PDT 2003

Hi Matt,

I've never tried FreeBSD v5, but still using v4-STABLE and from
December'02, gre support embedded in Stable series. There should be no
difference in 5 series.

First of all, you have to compile kernel with "options GRE", so that you
can create gre tunnels. Then, you should create a gre interface, and a
tunnel with BSD box to Cisco in a tricky way. Sample script is as follows :

/etc/start_if.gre:
ifconfig gre0 create
ifconfig gre0 x.y.z.1 10.20.30.40 netmask 255.255.255.255 link1
tunnel x.y.z.1 x.y.z.2 up

Here x.y.z.1 is the address of FreeBSD box with squid running, x.y.z.2
is address of Cisco router. Since there are some problems of gre driver
when source and destination tunnel addresses are on the same ethernet
segment, a fake address is used for other side of tunnel on FreeBSD
(10.20.30.40). This fake address'll be never used, because when using
WCCP, the tunnel is unidirectional as packets are only transmitted from
Cisco router to FreeBSD.

Regards,

Gokhan ERYOL