Typo in /etc/services

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Sat Jun 21 18:18:54 PDT 2003

On Saturday 21 June 2003 10:36 am, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 17:36 , while denying his reply is
>
> spam, Daniel Gustafson prattled on endlessly saying:
> > When doing some maintenance on my server i found what I believe to be
> > a typo in the /etc/services file on the novastorbackup rows.
> >
> > -novastorbakcup 308/tcp    #novastor backup
> > -novastorbakcup 308/udp    #novastor backup
> > +novastorbackup 308/tcp    #novastor backup
> > +novastorbackup 308/udp    #novastor backup
> >
> > The attached patch fixes this. This was found on my 4.7-STABLE
> > machine but appears according to the cvsweb to bre present in at
> > least 5.1-RELEASE.
>
> That's the wrong place to fix this.
>
> The 'bakcup' spelling has been there quite a long time in
> the OFFICIAL port numbers.
>
> See  http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
>
> IOW it is not a FreeBSD problem but is in the distribution from
> IANA.   I have no idea on how to get them to fix it.

In general you just email the maintainer and he changes it.  If you're the
registered owner of port 308, that is.  Perhaps it would be best to
contact the novastor maintainer and get him to fix it?  The current
registered maintainer is Brian Dickman <brian at novastor.com>.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes at softweyr.com