FreeBSD = Router, and vice versa

jdroflet at canada.com jdroflet at canada.com
Thu Jun 19 21:23:07 PDT 2003

You should probably include some backdoor access in case the ISP DHCP
settings need tweaking, some options:
- Include a modem with your box that you can dial into.
- An internal station with remote control (PCAnywhere) that you can dial
into then hop over to the internal NIC of your box via puTTY ssh client.
-A station that has some form of Internet access to which you can access
with PCAnywhere or VNC or GotoMYPC remote control and then hop onto your
box.

If you are not installing any desktop (I never do on gateways) then
install Webmin (usermin perhaps too) then if you need to talk newbie
through changes they will be more comfortable with the browser GUI than
terrifying them with a black screen and a prompt ;)

-All the NAT and Firewall stuff that should be on a gateway - many good
tutorials on the web
Regards, JD