NAT and PPTP

Sten Daniel Sørsdal sten.daniel.sorsdal at wan.no
Wed Jul 30 02:58:06 PDT 2003

> My own purpose for using this is securing a bit more
> 802.11(whatever) in a
> large WISP setup. One of my question is how many pptp or
> pppoe sessions
> can be handled by one FreeBSD box knowing each pptp or pppoe
> sessions have
> to be shaped traffic wise symetrically or asymetrically.

depends on the box, the shaping is very efficient and is in kernel.
so it's primarily the pptp and pppoe sessions that will demand resources.
it's almost impossible to answer.

if i said at least 30 on a celery 1ghz, you might/might not be happy with
that. im sure you could run twice that on the same hardware (given it's good hardware
and is not the cheapest sh*t you could find).

> So having the ability to shape inbound bandwidth and outbound
> bandwidth directly
> inside the pptpd and pppoe thru radius and directly (for some
> cases) thru ppp.conf
> would be really nice (it would require having a special
> dictionary for radius (I think))
> I don't know if this is achievable without too much hassle in
> the current PPP (PPPOE)
> code and if it is at all possible in a PPTP environment?

i use a shell script called from ppp.linkup/ppp.linkdown under the appropriate label
(radius supplies label as "Filter-Id").

Need it be simpler?

- Sten