NAT and PPTP

Christophe Prevotaux c.prevotaux at hexanet.fr
Tue Jul 29 23:50:12 PDT 2003

Thanks for answering my email , even though I am not a programmer
I can surely test things out to the best of my abilities.

It would be nice to be able to have something like a pptpd integrated into the
FreeBSD tree (STABLE and CURRENT) , it would nice of course to be able to setup
pptp tunnel dynamically and not only statically like it is the case right now
in mpd (AFAIK).

My own purpose for using this is securing a bit more 802.11(whatever) in a
large WISP setup. One of my question is how many pptp or pppoe sessions
can be handled by one FreeBSD box knowing each pptp or pppoe sessions have
to be shaped traffic wise symetrically or asymetrically.

So having the ability to shape inbound bandwidth and outbound bandwidth directly
inside the pptpd and pppoe thru radius and directly (for some cases) thru ppp.conf
would be really nice (it would require having a special dictionary for radius (I think))
I don't know if this is achievable without too much hassle in the current PPP (PPPOE)
code and if it is at all possible in a PPTP environment?