Differences between netgraph nodes in 4.x and 5.x

Paolo Pisati flag at libero.it
Tue Jul 29 03:29:03 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 07:13:04PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> If you want to send me the node you have writen I can
> make the diffs and send it back :-)

thanks Julian, but i prefer to do it myself,
cause i want to understand how the hell netgraph works... =)

btw, i think i did the converion and it was quite straightforward,
but i've still a little problem that i didn't have in 5.x:

if i try to unload my module, change the internals, compile
and use it again, it fails! =P

I think it's a problem in the shutdown/disconnect
part of my work, cause this is what i get:

ngctl mkpeer rl0: tee lower right
ngctl: send msg: File exists

actually tee is my own node, i didn't yet change the name
to classifier but it's my node.

And while you are listening, i can show u something else... =)

I have NETGRAPH in my kernel, and this is what i get when i
try to load ng_ether the first time:

[root at newluxor root]# kldload ng_ether
module_register: module netgraph already exists!
linker_file_sysinit "netgraph.ko" failed to register! 17
kldload: can't load ng_ether: Exec format error
it fails to load the node...

[root at newluxor root]# kldload ng_ether

while the second time it works... =O

[root at newluxor root]# kldunload ng_ether
kldunload: can't unload file: Device busy

and if i try to unload it, it always says that it's busy:
i think this is due to the inability to delete
an interface, isn't it?

nothing really nasty, but maybe you didn't know... =)

thank you & bye.

--

Paolo

GUFI: http://www.gufi.org