Divert Socket Ported to Windows

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Jul 17 12:47:15 PDT 2003

>Dear All
>Is there any package like divert socket available or ported on windows ?
>Thanx
>Soheil Hassas Yeganeh

Soheil,

     Data is funneled to divert sockets by IPFW ( anyone, please correct
me if Im wrong ) or a similar mechanism which are nonexistant on win32.
The closest open-source thingy ( to my knowledge ) would be winpcap
which is a port of libpcap. ( I believe on *nix this sits on top of BPF
or LPF ) You can do raw netowrk data capture with it but not diversion.

     Win32 uses a layered protocol stack for network services. Its
possible to insert a shim at any point that would potentialy be able to
'divert' communication streams ( perhapse via a named pipe ). IIRC,
its not a walk in the park to pull off. They do have a downloadable DDK
for this somewhere on the msdn site. I would suggest you start your
search there.

-Matthew