Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705M support

Boris Georgiev maav at bastun.net
Sun Jul 13 07:00:21 PDT 2003

Hello All,

I've got a Compaq Evo N620c notebook, which comes with a built-in lan network card - Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705M. I researched on the hardware support for this NIC in FreeBSD and noticed that there is no hardware support for it either in the STABLE, or in the CURRENT distribution. I found that there is Linux driver for this NIC, which can be downloaded from the 3Com web site on the following address:

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linux/bcm5700-5.0.5.tar.gz

The driver comes as a RedHat binary, Linux kernel patch and standalone source.
Can you, please update me if there is an updated if_bge driver, which includes hardware support for this new chip or if someone is porting this driver for FreeBSD and there is a beta version, I can cooperate with testing it.

Boris Georgiev