FreeBSD lacks PPPoE (pppoa3 solution)

Nuno Teixeira nunotex at pt-quorum.com
Thu Jul 10 13:45:22 PDT 2003

Hi,

Please see http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/index.php?/news.en.html

"Real" PPPoE with a ethernet card connected with a ADSL Modem works.

This problem is related with ISPs that supports *only* PPPoE protocol
with USB Modems (this case Alcatel) that "emulates" ethernet with
TUN/TAP devices. USB modems don't have a connection to ethernet cards.

FreeBSD pppoa port works ok with Alcatel USB Modems but only for PPPoA
protocols and not PPPoE.

Almost all europe ISPs only support PPPoE and not PPPoA (I don't know
the reason why).

Thanks,

		Nuno Teixeira

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 01:29:26PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I'm confused.. FreeBSD has had full PPPoE support for about 4 years.
>
> there is also PPPoA support..
>
> why do you think there is not?
>

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
>

> > Hello to all,
> >
> > I'm using FreeBSD for almost 4 years and I will continue with it because
> > I can't find better.
> >
> > I subscribed to a ADSL connection in Portugal that supports only PPPoE
> > (and not PPPoA).
> >
> > Almost everyone in Portugal uses only 2 modems (supported by ISPs):
> > Siemens Santis USB and Alcatel SpeedTouch 330 USB.
> >
> > Linux people has already support to Alcatel USB modems with PPPoE
> > connections and FreeBSD still lacks of PPPoE support.
> >
> > I don't like Linux so, to solve my home network problem, I install a
> > Windows machine to share the Internet (ooops!) across my LAN.
> >
> > The new Speedtouch 1.2 beta2 driver (http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/index.php?/news.en.html),
> > already support Bridging 1483 mode (PPPoE support) in pppoa3 but without
> > use in FreeBSD.
> >
> > Please read the following thread to see some solutions for implementing
> > PPPoE in FreeBSD.
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/speedtouch@ml.free.fr/msg04514.html
> >
> > For what you can see in this thread:
> >
> > "...that  task is  simply a  matter of  two or  three #ifdefs  for  each
> > BSD flavor, but nobody seems volunteering to accomplish it."
> >
> > I'm just a FreeBSD user not a programmer or hacker, so I can only help
> > FreeBSD community asking you to try to implement PPPoE in FreeBSD so
> > everyone uses it.
> >

> > Thanks very much for your great work,
> >
> > 		Nuno Teixeira
> >
> > --
> >
> > /*
> > PGP fingerprint:
> > C6D1 06ED EB54 A99C 6B14  6732 0A5D 810D 727D F6C6
> > */

/*