Question about bridging code

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Thu Jul 10 11:37:19 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 02:10:15PM -0400, kw3wong at engmail.uwaterloo.ca wrote:
> Hi Luigi,
>
>Thanks for response, the vmnet/tap stuff sounds like neat stuff. After reading
>the description of tap (from the vtun site), the system seems to make a lot of
>sense.However, I'm not sure how vmnet comes into play here - what purpose does
>it serve, shouldn't I just be able to read from the /dev/tap0 and bridge
>between tap0 and fxp0?

It's just a naming issue, vmnetX is the network-device name of /dev/tapX.
(the ip-equivalent thing, "tun", has the same name for both the network
device and the device entry in the filesystem. As a matter of fact the
latter is totally arbitrary so "tun" perhaps should be called "vmnet"...)

Packets written by a process to /dev/tapX are seen by the network layer as
coming from vmnetX; packets sent by the network layer to vmnetX can be read
by a process from /dev/tapX

>     net.link.ether.bridge_cfg: fxp0:0,tap0:0 tap1:1 bge0:1

here you have to use the names vmnet0 and vmnet1

	cheers
	luigi