ipprecedence

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Mon Jul 7 13:14:44 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 12:33:32PM -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> permit. Certain hardware even has multiple, prioritized
> transmit rings, but there is no support for them in our
> drivers (basically we don't have an API for that).

One example which immediately springs to mind is the RTL8139C+ which
Bill Paul has been playing with this very week.

Also, my Efficient Networks Lanai based ATM adapter has support of
kinds for this (albeit in ATM-land), even the fxp has Intel's proprietary
Priority Packet software for it (pardon the pun).

With the increased interest in VoIP and similar these days, perhaps hardware
DS/QoS support of this nature is something the project should explore?

I have heard the 'provision your network correctly' argument against this,
but this doesn't address the problem of pushing isochronous traffic through
a narrow pipe used to connect a branch office, so I find it unhelpful.

BMS