Performance improvement for NAT in IPFIREWALL

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 2 16:32:51 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 07:06:25PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
[...]
> By itself, NAT provides no benefit to security, and some implementations
> actually reduce the security of the system compared with not running NAT.

Our natd(8) contributes to security somewhat, by providing the
-deny_incoming option.

Also, by using a dedicated IP address for a NAT, and blocking
(with a firewall) all incoming packets that do not match an
already established connections (originated locally, or mapped
with static redirection rules), you secure your NAT host.
(This is even without the -deny_incoming option to natd(8).)
Here's the relevant part of the functioning firewall ruleset:

# Route to the per-interface ruleset.
${fwcmd} add skipto 1000 ip from any to any via ${iif}
${fwcmd} add skipto 2000 ip from any to any via ${oif}

# EXTERNAL INTERFACE RULESET

# Spoof protection.
${fwcmd} add 2000 deny ip from ${inet} to any in

# NAT.
${fwcmd} add divert natd ip from ${inet} to any out
${fwcmd} add divert natd ip from any to ${nat} in
${fwcmd} add deny ip from any to ${nat} in

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru at sunbay.com		Sunbay Software Ltd,