ipprecedence

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.pp.ru
Wed Jul 2 09:29:10 PDT 2003

> It seems to me you could use dummynet/ipfw2 to provide a
> stronge PREFERENCE for packets w/non-zero precedence --

Well, I see now that FreeBSD has very simple and unmanaged
interface queues, these are FIFO queues.

So if I create dummynet queue and assign better weight
to IP packets with ipprecedence, they probably come into
interface's FIFOs first and will go out first. That's good,
but that is not guaranteed.

Then, if prioritized packed arrives when FIFO is not empty,
it will not be allowed to go out before packets without ipprecedence
that are already in FIFO. That's bad.

Eugene

P.S. Please CC: me as I'm not in the list.