broadcast udp packets ...

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Tue Jul 1 15:04:16 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 09:46:33PM +0000, Matthew Grooms wrote:

>      In any case, I wrote a quick little program to generate a broadcast
> message for use with testing the relay daemon ( I got tired of waiting for
> bootp requests to be picked up by my cable modem as a test case ).
> Unfortunately, I can never get the test program generate an all-routes
> broadcast, they always come out as network directed broadcasts.

There's a sleazy way.  I was told it by Irix support in 1994, and if
I'm not mistaken dhclient uses it still today.  Ifconfig your interface
with an alias of 255.0.0.1/8.  Told you it was sleazy.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.