bridge - bridge box disappears from the network (even though it h as an ip assigned to one of the interfaces)

Fredrick Nilsson fredrick.nilsson at framfab.se
Tue Dec 30 00:15:49 PST 2003

Hi!

First of all, I don't know if this is the correct mailing list to use for
this matter, but if it is, please cc me in the reply, since I'm not
subscribing to this list.

(this was originally posted by me on freebsd-questions@)

Here's the problem:

I'm using bridge, but I'm not able to contact the bridge box over the
network. This only applies to the boxes that are using the bridge. If a box
outside the "bridged" enviroment, tries to contact the bridge box, there's
no problem what so ever.

The interface that is assigned an ip, is the external interface (the one
connected to my vdsl-modem), and it gets it's ip from a DHCP server.

This is my relevant (at least, I hope so ;) configurations:

Kernel-config
options BRIDGE
options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

/etc/sysctl.conf
net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=fxp0,rl0
#net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1 (yes, for now i commented ipfw filtering, just
to make sure that some misconfiguration, was the cause of my problem)
net.link.ether.bridge=1

/etc/rc.conf
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
firewall_enable="YES"