Configuring DNS on a machine connected temporary to the internet

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Fri Dec 26 06:56:06 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 15:29 , Marc van Woerkom exclaimed "Las Cucarachas
entran, Pero no puede en salir", and then rambled on saying with:

> My machine is connected to the internet via an ISDN modem, using kernel
> ppp and i4b.
> If the link is up, it resolves symbolic names by asking some
> nameserver.
> If the link is down, it should just use /etc/hosts to
> resolve "localhost" and the name of the second computer
> attached to it by an ethernet link.

> My problem is that if the ISDN link is down, even
> a lookup of "localhost" doesn't work.

> What do you recommend as configuration settings?

> I seem to get stuck.

Is the order in you /etc/host.conf file set to
hosts
bind

Are the names in you /etc/hosts file correct.

IP first then FQDN followed by short name.

You didn't give details that they are this way.
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com