Controlling ports used by natd

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Mon Dec 22 21:13:02 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 06:33:31PM -0600, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Brett Glass wrote:
>
> > It is also interesting that natd doesn't respect the
> > "hifirst..hilast" settings here. Shouldn't it look at
> > these variables and avoid assigning ports that the
> > machine on which it's running would not use? Or should
> > there be a "net.inet.alias.portrange.first", etc., so
> > that one could specify the ranges or lists for everything
> > in one place?
>
> The high range is really a "feature" added for ftpd's sake, if you take a
> look back through the cvs history.  There's no problem with the normal and
> high ranges overlapping; -current uses 49152-65535 for both.

It is odd that libalias picks a port number, and then, if the "use sockets"
option is set, tries to open a socket on that port.  Perhaps if the above
option is set, it should bind port 0 and use the port the kernel assigns.

If folks think that's a good idea, I could produce a patch to alias_db.c
for evaluation.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.