suffering from poor network performance...

Alex (ander Sendzimir) xela at battleface.com
Tue Dec 16 16:35:59 PST 2003

	I'm responding to several people at once. References
	to material to read is fine in place of personal
	descriptions. However, you know, the 'personal touch'
	is always good :-)

	The only thing better than FBSD is the mailing lists.

	Thanks, folks.

	  Alex

> On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, at 06:36  PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:
>
> You're probably on the right track with a duplex problem.  Most hubs
> default to half-duplex, and it's probably the safest choice to use in
> any
> case - most attempts at full-duplexed hubs I've seen have been poor.

Any recommendations on switches for home use? Equipment to stay away
from?

> First, pull the hub out of the middle and connect the G4 to the Xeon
> with
> a straight-through Ethernet cable.  (All G4 PBs should automatically
> handle any crossover required).  Repeat your ping tests, and observe
> your
> duplex config on both machines (should be full duplex).  You should see
> practically no packet loss.

Of course. I didn't even think of this.

> Now go back and reconnect each machine to the hub, and verify/confirm
> half
> duplex for each device.  Repeat tests.  If you're still getting packet
> loss, power cycle the hub.  If you're STILL getting packet loss, throw
> the
> hub out and buy an 8-port switch for $30, and set the machines to
> full-duplex.

What does power cycling the hub do in this case (Netgear DS108)?
Finally, what is the difference between half and full duplex?

Kevin, later on you write in response to Charles Swiger:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Charles Swiger wrote:
>
>> If the device works at both 10 and 100 speed, it's a switch, not a
>> hub.
>
> It is sold as a hub.  Most of these "dual-speed" hubs are/were two
> hubs,
> one of each speed, with a two-port internal switch connecting them.
> The
> physical ports would auto-join to whichever side the connection speed
> indicated.  Infuriating to use as tap devices, if you ended up on the
> wrong side of the switch from your target, you wouldn't see any
> broadcast
> traffic.  ;)
>
> KeS

Interesting. I didn't know that. What is the difference between a
switch and a hub? I thought I understood. Perhaps this is not the case.
Thanks.