wireless monitoring of APs???

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Sun Dec 14 21:56:47 PST 2003

All this talk of tcpdump, etc. has made me remember a question I thought of a
while back and never got a decent answer on...

What tools are there in BSD-land that are usefull for monitoring activity on
an AP? i.e. like dstumbler but from the LAN side? well, alright, not like
dstumbler as it has 1) and installed piece of hardware to use and 2) direct
access to the device, where as an AP attatched to a boxen does not...

but surely you see my point? it would be desirable to be able to display on a
BSD box the same sort of information as dstumbler or other network managent
tools for APs as it is for on-board wifi cards...

I suspect the problem is that there is no information coming from the AP on
the ethernet activity it sees on the wireless side being relayed to the wired
side...  and hence a agent would have to be running on the AP itself to allow
such functionality...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824