ssh tunnels and Xvnc - (yes, I know... What? not again!?)

Willie Viljoen will at unfoldings.net
Fri Dec 12 02:01:34 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Helge Oldach" <helge.oldach at atosorigin.com>
To: "Marco Molteni" <molter at tin.it>
Cc: <freebsd-net at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: ssh tunnels and Xvnc - (yes, I know... What? not again!?)

> Marco Molteni:
> >> I can ssh from home to the work1 and ssh from there to work2.
> >> home runs windows 2k and I have (full) admin access
> >> work1 and 2 run FreeBSD
> >> I have root access on work2 but not work 1
> >
> >you should be able to do it in one step, no need to log into work1,
> >no need to run the listener... you just need your ssh public keys
> >in work1 and work2
>
> Yep.
>
> >from home you double tunnel:
> >LOCALPORT=6333
> >REMOTEPORT=5901
> >ssh -t -L $LOCALPORT:localhost:12945 work1 \
> >    ssh -L 12945:localhost:$REMOTEPORT work2
>
> As home is a W2k box, ssh won't probably work exactly like this...
>
> Putty supports a "don't allocate a pseudo-terminal" option to achieve
> the effect of ssh's "-t" option. (Required, otherwise work1 will bark.)

PuTTY is problematic though. There is a way to get it to work exactly like
this. A Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 port of OpenSSH with an installer is at
http://lexa.mckenna.edu/

The port installs a small subset of Cygwin and uses it to provide full
OpenSSH functionality, so you can get SSH as it is on UNIX from the Windows
command prompt.

Will