ANNOUNCE: net/tcpdump Radiotap-aware port committed.

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 11 18:55:04 PST 2003

> What are the chances of Phil Wood's patches getting ported?

If you mean the patches from

	http://public.lanl.gov/cpw/

then the chances are no greater than the chances of memory mapping
being added to BPF. :-)

I.e., the patches support use of Linux's memory-mapped PF_PACKET socket
support; there's no equivalent memory-mapped BPF mechanism in any BSD,
so there'd be nothing for a ported version to use - a memory-mapped BPF
would have to be implemented before his changes could be ported.

Michael T. Stolarchuk was working on such a mechanism at one point:

	http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/2000/msg01156.html

but I don't know what happened to that.  (He was working on it for
OpenBSD, I think, and was, I think, relying on UVM:

	http://www.ccrc.wustl.edu/pub/chuck/tech/uvm/

for it:

	http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa2001/tech/stolarchuk/

.)