Two ISP connections

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Thu Dec 11 09:20:21 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 01:51:20PM -0500, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> ** Reply to note from Barney Wolff <barney at databus.com> Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:39:28 -0500
>

> > Things started from /usr/local/etc/rc.d get a hup signal when rc is finished
> > with all the startup scripts - I think.  Anyway, if you don't use nohup,
> > or a more-conventional way to daemonize what you've started, it will die
> > mysteriously in a very short time.  I've never seen anybody else use nohup
> > for this purpose but it works just fine on both 4.x and 5.x.
>
> Are you sure?
> I never heard anything like that and I never used nohup before...
> Maybe net is not the right place to discuss this, though.

You're welcome to try not doing it and see how it works.
If you don't like nohup, man perlfaq8 and look at the answer
to "How can I fork a daemon process?" - or look it up in Stevens'
Unix Network Programming.

I am *not* sure that it's HUP, but my experience is that processes get
something fatal quickly, and nohup prevents it.

Regards,
Barney

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.