Translate MAC address to IP address

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Sun Dec 7 19:16:05 PST 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Dan Constantinescu wrote:

> My name is Dan , and i would ask you for help...how can i filter users
> from a LAN to acces internet throuh a freebsd server (i've installed it)
> by MAC? Or i need a script to bind ip to mac? Thank's Dan.

If you're running a recent release of freebsd (4.8 or later should do),
you can recompile your kernel with IPFW2, which supports filtering by mac
addresses; see the ipfw manpage for more information.

IPFW2 is the default in 5.x, so you wouldn't need to recompile if you're
running 5.x.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack