freebsd bridging and failover

jdroflet at canada.com jdroflet at canada.com
Tue Dec 2 20:42:49 PST 2003

Perhaps http://www.bsdshell.net/hut_fvrrpd.html
Not tried it myself but been meaning too, probably when my main box
locks up on Christmas Eve an dno failover, I will get to it....

Val P. Wrote:
Is there a way to implement a failover in a bridge? Basically I'd like
to keep two
filtering bridges on the network at the same time, one primary and one
backup.
However, since freebsd bridging doesn't support STP, I can't do that
without creating
a loop. Is there something (like the vrrp implementation but for
bridges) that I can use?

Theoretically I can interconnect the two bridges over a serial port and
write some sort
of heartbeat application, but I'd rather have a solution that has
already been tested.
Also, my simplistic solution would cause existing connections to be
disconnected
during the failover.