subnetting C class into /26 /25 /26, why can this be done?

Daniel C. Sobral dcs at tcoip.com.br
Thu Aug 28 04:50:15 PDT 2003

Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Christoffer Pio wrote:
>
>>Is it not possible to subnet a C class into 3 nets, like
>>
>>0-63
>>64-191  <-- Offending network (?)
>>192-255
>>
>>If so, why is this?
>

> I think you got explanations on the why.
>
> Now it should still be possible to subnet the way you want I think.
>
> While I would never recommend it, think routing should go with the
> most significant mask for a given address.
>
> So if you subnet:
>
> 1) x.x.x.0/26
> 2) x.x.x.192/26
> 3) x.x.x.0/24
>
> you should be able to do the trick.
>
> An address in the range 0-63 will match both mask 1) and 3) but mask
> 1) is most significant (more bits, higer value) so the packet will be
> routed to subnet 1).
>
> Same thing for a packet in the range 192-255, with subnet 2) and 3),
> it will be router to subnet 2).
>
> And a packet in the range 64-191 will only match the subnet 3) so it
> will go to the subnet 3).
>
> IF I AM NOT WRONG, this should work, but it is definitely nasty.
>
> If you absolutely need 2 subnets of 64 addresses and one of 128,
> doing:
>
> 1) x.x.x.0/26
> 2) x.x.x.64/26
> 3) x.x.x.128/25
>
> is nicer and will result in the ranges 0-64, 64-127 and 128-255.

Yes, but any host in the 64-191 range will need to be configured with a
/24 net mask *and* have static routes for 0-63 and 192-255. And I'm not
even completely sure that will work.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes
E-mail: Daniel.Capo at tco.net.br
         Daniel.Sobral at tcoip.com.br
         dcs at tcoip.com.br

Outros:
	dcs at newsguy.com
	dcs at freebsd.org
	capo at notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

For there are moments when one can neither think nor feel.  And if one can
neither think nor feel, she thought, where is one?
		-- Virginia Woolf, "To the Lighthouse"

	[Quoted in "VMS Internals and Data Structures", V4.4, when
	 referring to powerfail recovery.]