interface destroy

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Aug 18 14:50:45 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:15:12AM -0700, Vlad Galu wrote:

>       Hello. I have a tun interface used by an userspace daemon
> (namely openvpn). Is there a way of destroying it upon openvpn
> shutdown ? ifconfig tun0 destroy returns this :
>
>       ifconfig: SIOCIFDESTROY: Invalid argument Does this mean that
> the ifreq structure passed as argument to the SIOCIFDESTROY is empty?

No, this means that ifconfig's destory argument doesn't work with tun
interfaces.  The tun interface needs to be convered to use the
pseudo-interface cloning infrastructure, but so far, it hasn't happened.
I've taken a look at it a a few times, but the current auto creation
code is really incompatable with the way cloning works which makes it
problematic.

-- Brooks