Translate MAC address to IP address

Lars Eggert larse at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 15 07:15:07 PDT 2003

Nick,

Nick Barnes wrote:
> At 2003-08-13 15:43:51+0000, Lars Eggert writes:
>>Nick Barnes wrote:
>>>
>>>I have some MAC addresses from a local Ethernet segment.  I want to
>>>convert them into IP addresses.  How can I do that programmatically?
>>
>>net/arping from port:
>
> Thanks for the reference.  I had a look at arping. It works by sending
> a broadcast ping to the specified MAC address (not to the broadcast
> MAC).  I note that FreeBSD machines do respond to such pings (unlike
> regular broadcast pings), but some machines do not (e.g. WinXPPro,
> NT4).

it also supports setting the source IP and MAC address to one specified
on the command line. This usually works for these other boxes, if you
use a valid one for the net you're on.

> Since asking the question, I have been rummaging around in user-space
> network code (e.g. in the sources for arp, ping, and ifconfig) and
> have written a couple of little utilities:
> I can provide sources on request any time; once these things are a bit
> more polished I will put them on the web.

Interesting! Maybe turn them into a port once they're stable?

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse at isi.edu>           USC Information Sciences Institute