1 server, 1 net, 2 cards

Han Hwei Woo hhwoo at argosy.ca
Thu Aug 14 04:46:26 PDT 2003

I don't believe it is possible to do that in the manner you're suggesting.
What is your purpose
for using two ethernet cards with two different IP's on the same network?
The carrying
capacity of your switching fabric (hub or switch) as well as the ethernet
card on the host you
try to communicate will limit your bandwidth, so you will not see any
performance gain
from using the 2nd ethernet card, even if you setup an effective method of
load balancing.

If you want to use your freebsd box as your switching fabric however, you
can setup the 2
cards as a bridge. "man 4 bridge" will explain how to do that. You would
then only need 1 IP
address for your bridge interface, and you can add a 2nd IP using aliasing
as well if you wish.
Keep in mind that this will be more cpu intensive than just setting up a
separate network on
each card, although if your machine is relatively fast, the difference will
be negligible.

I hope this helps. If not, perhaps you could explain more about what you are
trying to
accomplish, which will enable us to help you better.

Cheers,
Han Hwei Woo