Multipath Routing

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Fri Aug 1 15:56:49 PDT 2003

+--- On Friday, August 01, 2003 15:30,
| Oldach, Helge proclaimed:
|
| > I am no programmer, so forgive my ignorance in that respect, but why
| > can't a
| > metric be used to differentiate routes to the same destination network
| > within the routing table?  I happened to be googling and found:
| >
| > http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3878
| >
| > which describes a patch to -STABLE that does exactly what I am talking
| > about.
|
| Routing will always follow the better metric. That's the paradigm. So
| if you have two routes the one with the better metric will always rule.

What exactly is the syntax of entering a network route twice, using the same
mask, via two different gateways, using different metrics?

| Frankly, I don't quite see the rationale for such a hack. This can be
| solved using available mechanisms such as VRRP (or HSRP, if the gateways
| are decent routers).

In my case, I am talking about using FreeBSD as the router.  For sure,
FreeBSD + Zebra is one VERY powerful combination.

| Furthermore:
|
|   It doesn't detect when remote hosts are down. This is not the job of
| the kernel. It's not a routing protocol, it's not an automatic failover
| system.
|
| So what is this good for, that cannot be solved by already available
| mechanisms?

As stated above, and in my first post, I am using Zebra, which is a suite of
routing protocols.  It is aware of routing path changes.

--
|       Michael W. Oliver, CCNP       | "The tree of liberty must be |
|      gpg key - http://michael.gargantuan.com/gnupg/pubkey.asc      |